The Guide Endorsement is for British Canoeing Leaders who are involved in guiding activity, particularly those working within Adventure Tourism and Commercial Markets. This endorsement is aimed at supporting and recognising the additional skills required when fulfilling a guiding role.
The ethos of the scheme is to support, share and recognise the leaders guiding development. The cadre of Guides and aspirant Guides will be a supportive network of leaders, sharing best practice and like-minded ideas, in order to aid their learning and support paddlers on their journeys. The main purpose is that it is a healthy and supportive learning experience for all involved, whether it is the mentor, aspirant Guide or more importantly, the clients.
The endorsement is available to British Canoeing Leaders who have completed learning relevant to their guiding role. This may include topics such as trip planning/organisation, leadership styles, customer care, camp craft, minimising impact on communities/environment, adding value to the customer experience, with British Canoeing offering a range of modules covering these topics. Recognition that the Guide also meets minimum standards of deployment is also be built into the endorsement; this will cover first aid and a commitment to continual professional development.
The benefits of becoming a British Canoeing Guide are:
- Promotion through a specific page on the British Canoeing and SCA website;
- Use of the British Canoeing Guide logo;
- Formal recognition;
- Access to additional guide training and sharing run by fellow experts in the field of guiding;
- A forum for endorsed guides to share good practice, guiding issues, trends and CPD opportunities;
- Increase in employment potential both in the UK and Internationally.