There is a Foundation Paddleability Course - Introduction to Disability Awareness, that are free for SCA members to attend at 9am - 12pm on the 14th December 2017 at Robertson House on Bath Street in Glasgow.
The aim of the module is to modify attendees’ perceptions of people with disabilities; their attitude towards this sector of the population, and; to consider how they may adjust their coaching / approach to be more inclusive. The following learning outcomes are considered to fulfil this aim.
• Understand how disabled people may view themselves in society and those factors that may prevent them from fully participating in paddle sport.
• Establish basic communications skills with people with disabilities
• Apply existing coaching skills to meet the needs of participants with disabilities
• Select equipment and make minor modifications to it, so as to make paddle sport more inclusive
• Describe the Health and Safety issues when working with people with disabilities
• Use appropriate terminology
• List the range of disabilities that may be encountered
• Describe how the Equality Act (2010) affects paddle sport organisations