- British Canoeing and the Home Nation Associations actively encourage all coaches to keep up-to-date with relevant developments in paddlesport and in general coaching/leading best practice. The Coach Update Scheme supports and recognises coaches’ commitment to continued learning and development.
- British Canoeing and the Home Nation Associations consider coaches who subscribe to the Coach Update Scheme to meet minimum standards for deployment as a coach. The flexibility which has been built into each aspect of the Coach Update Scheme allows coaches to select CPD opportunities relevant to their coaching activity.
- To support quality provision of the British Canoeing Awards and Qualifications, providers of any British Canoeing course are required to subscribe to the Coach Update Scheme. It is also recommended that coaches working with British Canoeing Approved Paddlesport Providers and Clubs subscribe to the scheme
The Coach Update process is the same for all of our Coaches. There are three things you need to have to meet the update requirements:
- Membership - Hold Full SCA Membership.
- First Aid - All Coaches (except Level 1) need a first aid certificate recorded on their membership record.
- Safeguarding (Child Protection) Training – British Canoeing require all coaches to complete recognised child protection training.
- Coaching Continuous Personal Development (CPD) - Be up-to-date with current best practice See Coaching CPD section below for more details.