Paddlepower is an exciting and colourful scheme that has been designed to meet the needs of young people. The scheme allows young paddlers to experience all aspects of the sport, including competition and adventure elements. These awards are recommended for paddlers under 15. It’s colourful and youth centred approach aims to :
- Encourage more young people to come into and stay in the sport
- Provide progression and reward achievement in a wide range of topics
- Show them all aspects of the sport – both competitive and adventurous
- Provide signposts into Clubs where their skills and development can be nurtured
- Provide a flexible structure for delivery according to venue/situation
The scheme has recently been revised and now comprises of 5 Awards to support a young paddler’s introduction and progress in Paddlesport.
- PaddlePower Start – an entry level award suitable for taster sessions or as part of a series of sessions.
- PaddlePower Passport – four progressive levels based on 24 topics which can be grouped into Safety Awareness, Paddling Skills, Varied Experiences, and Supporting Knowledge. The award is equivalent to 1 Star.
- PaddlePower Discover – this follows on from Passport with a further 4 levels to take the young paddler to equivalent of 2 star standard.
- PaddlePower Explore - three different levels takes the paddler on an extensive journey exploring the great variety Paddlesport, with topics focused on participation in events and journeys in the competitive and non-competitive disciplines.
- PaddlePower Excel - three levels to test the paddler on all elements of paddlesport including being responsible for self and others, participation in journeys, coaching sessions, training, events /competitions in a variety of disciplines, background knowledge of the sport; access, rules, environmental, nutrition and goal setting.
At PaddlePower Start there is a certificate which is awarded by the coach. For each award after Start there is a colourful Progress Card for the young paddler to record their progress and to encourage them to move to the next stage with a BCU certificate awarded on completion of each award.
Who can deliver the Awards? A Level 1 coach can deliver PaddlePower Start, after that a Level 2 coach is required. For Explore and Excel a Level 2 coach can deliver with support from a discipline specific coach/s.
How do I get started? Resources are available from the SCA Shop. There is no need to register but all coaches must have the Coaches Manual to start delivering the scheme.