14 Medals for SCA Members at the British Marathon Championships.
Thu 09 August 2018
A contingent of 12 paddlers made the long journey south to Reading to race in the British Marathon Championships over a very hot weekend on the Thames. The event attracted the largest entry for many years with over 862 boats starting in 54 races covering K1 and K2 age groups from Under 10 to over 69. The entries this year included strong teams from Germany, Ireland and The Netherlands as well as representation from most racing clubs across the UK.
Some of the paddlers were returning for their annual attempt to be the best in their age group in Britain whilst for others it was their first taste of the large racing fields that offer different challenges from local racing in Scotland.
Everyone had a great experience on the water and for many, plans are already being hatched to return in 2019. But, undoubtedly the buzz of the weekend was for Debi Ives who found herself a partner for the open mixed K2 race. With 82 crews entered for the mass start race over 13km this was a big step up from anything that the Division 8 ranked paddler has ever done and her delight from completing the course in good order was clear to see.
Despite fielding much smaller teams than many of the English clubs Kirkcaldy and Linlithgow both finished in the top half of the club points table, finishing 17th and 25th respectively out of a total of 56 clubs present.
- Under 10 Female Lightning – Gold – Hannah Toovey, Linlithgow
- Under 12 Female K1 – Bronze – Hannah Toovey, Linlithgow
- Over 39 Female K1 – Gold – Margaret Chapman, Kirkcaldy
- Over 49 Female K1 – Gold – Lizelle Kemp, Linlithgow
- Over 54 Female K1 – Silver – Margaret Chapman, Kirkcaldy – Bronze – Ursula Mackintosh, Kirkcaldy
- Over 69 Male K1 – Silver – Andy Morton, Kirkcaldy
- Under 12 Female K2 – Silver – Hannah Toovey and Naomi Fisher, Linlithgow
- Over 34 Female K2 – Silver – Lizelle Kemp, Linlithgow with Gina Guscott from Leighton Buzzard
- Over 44 Female K2 – Silver – Ursula Mackintosh & Margaret Chapman, Kirkcaldy
- Over 54 Female K2 – Gold – Ursula Mackintowh and Margaret Chapman, Kirkcaldy
Also racing well over the weekend, but outside of the medal positions, were Brian Chapman, Sonia Dean, Debbie Ives and Alan Mackintosh from Kirkcaldy, Matt Fisher and Jason Toovey from Linlithgow, Alan Patterson from Selkirk and Kenny Fraser – Independent.